You are here
Here are the six tools you will need to do a good job of taking care of your dog’s coat. Don’t forget to look for injuries while your’re at it.
1. Brush and comb. There are a variety of dog brushes and combs available for you to choose from. Your choice depends on your dog’s coat type. Long coats benefit from a large toothed comb and a pin brush, whereas a short coated dog will only need a rubber grooming mitt.
2. Shampoo and conditioner. Again, the shampoo you use on your dog depends on their coat type. A mild soap free shampoo is ideal for most dogs. If your dog has sensitive skin or is prone to rashes, your vet may recommend a medicated shampoo. Conditioner is an optional extra which may leave their coat soft and shiny.
3. Ear cleaner and cotton balls. Dampen a cotton ball with ear cleaner and wipe inside your dog’s ear to remove any built up wax or dirt. Don’t try to clean any further than you can reach, and never put a Q tip in your dog’s ear – there is too much risk of damage.
4. Nail clippers and some blood stop powder. If your clippers are sharp, they will be more comfortable for your dog. There is always a chance you will clip a nail too short and it will bleed, hence the blood stop powder. A little blood can go a long way and it might look quite frightening. Fortunately, this isn’t serious and shouldn’t cause your dog too much pain.
5. Blunt nosed scissors to trim any hair from around your dog’s eyes. This prevents long hair causing irritation to their eyes, which can lead to inflammation and infection.
6. Towels or a blow dryer. At the very least, give your dog a good rub with a towel after their bath to remove excess water. Some dog owners go so far as to blow dry their dog after they have been washed.
Store your dog’s grooming products together in a box or a bucket, so they are quick and easy to find at bath time.
In Summary – Or if this is just too much like hard work then do what I do and get a Professional Groomer to come around to your house and get the job done right every time.
March 2019 M T W T F S S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31