You are here
Before modern veterinary medicine, dogs were treated with home remedies for any illnesses or injuries. These home remedies are still used today, and in many cases they are just as effective today as they were in the past.
Here are the top 6 home remedies that you can use to treat your dog.
1. Gastro-intestinal disease can be treated at home by withholding food for 24 hours, and giving your dog peppermint tea to soothe an upset stomach. If they have diarrhea, slippery elm powder can be very effective.
2. If your dog has a dry dull coat, give them fish oil capsules at a dose rate of 1000mg/22lb bodyweight. The natural omega fatty acids will moisturize their coat from the inside and also soothe any irritation.
3. A dull faded coat can be improved by the addition of kelp to your dog’s diet. Kelp contains iodine which is important for metabolism and coat health, but they can get too much of a good thing. Excess iodine can affect the functioning of their thyroid gland, so if you are going to give your dog a kelp supplement, follow the directions carefully.
4. Green lipped mussel extract can be very effective against joint inflammation. For elderly dogs that find it hard to get up and about in the morning, this can improve their mobility and ease joint inflammation.
5. Alfalfa contains anti-inflammatory ingredients which are also effective against arthritis. Feed your dog raw alfalfa sprouts to help to relieve any pain in their joints.
6. Brewer’s yeast in your dog’s diet can help with flea control, and diatomaceous earth will dry out their eggs and larvae in the environment.
In Summary – It’s great to use natural home remedies to treat your dog, and all dog owners should have a little “medicine kit” containing these treatments. However, there are times when home remedies won’t work. If that’s the case with your dog, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with your veterinarian. There are times when modern medicine is very useful indeed.
July 2018 M T W T F S S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31